Hair loss can be because of several reasons, but one of the most common reasons that affect children and adults of all genders is iron deficiency. Lack of nutrients can be dangerous for your health as well as have severe effects on your hair growth. Your body fails to produce enough hemoglobin in your blood when you don’t have enough iron. Hemoglobin carries oxygen for repair and growth of cells, including the ones that stimulate hair growth. With proper treatment and in some cases, taking iron supplements for women can reverse both hair loss and iron deficiency in women.
Sometimes traditional female and male pattern hair loss can also look like iron deficiency hair loss. In these circumstances, iron may play an important role in hair loss. You might notice more hair than usual in your hairbrushes and shower drain when you experience hair loss. In more advanced cases, you may notice bald spots on your scalp.
How to treat iron deficiency hair loss?
Mostly the hair loss due to iron deficiency is temporary. The best treatment for hair loss is to determine the underlying cause of the problem. Consult a doctor to measure your iron levels if you think your hair loss is due to a deficiency of iron.
The tests your doctor runs will measure the levels of ferritin, which is a protein that helps store iron. You can treat it with the best iron supplements for women if your test results show low iron levels. You may experience a difference in bowel movements as a side effect of the extra iron, so consult your doctor if you’re prone to an upset stomach.
Regrowth of Hair
People around the world use thousands of products to treat hair loss and it’s estimated that about 90% of products don’t work. Some of the hair loss treatment might include:
It is an option available to those who have permanent hair loss. Restoration surgery and hair transplant involve removing small plugs of skin that contain hairs and implanting them to the bald patches.
One of the most popular shampoos that are used by people to promote hair growth and avoid hair loss is Minoxidil. It lasts for 16 weeks and after which the rate of hair growth slows down. Therefore, you should keep applying it after 16 weeks to get additional benefits.
It is generally recommended to men and comes in pill form. It stimulates hair growth and slows hair loss.
Can we prevent Iron deficiency and hair loss?
Yes, we can prevent iron deficiency and hair loss and in order to do so we can try the following:
• Eat a healthy and balanced diet. You should introduce iron-fortified foods like cereals, spinach, peas, lean proteins — like pork and salmon — and dried fruit. These foods will help you maintain a good balance of nutrition level in your body.
• Append vitamin C rich foods to your diet. The food rich in vitamin C allows your body to absorb iron more efficiently. So, you can add more oranges, strawberries, melons, broccoli, and tomatoes.
• Don’t tie your hair tight, wear them down. Avoid tying your hair with a headband that can lead to breakage and eventually hair loss.
• Use scarves and hats to protect your hair from the elements such as heat, dust, and rain. Keep your hair covered especially on sunny or windy days.
• Wash and brush your hair gently. Avoid pulling out any excess hair during routine maintenance, be gentle to them.
• Avoid using hair dyes and chemicals on your hair. Seek guidance from a trained professional if you want to do otherwise.
• Elude heat-based equipment like curling irons and blow dryers. If you must use them, add a layer of protection with a heat protecting gel or cream.
Iron Deficiency Anemia and hair loss
Many studies have shown that iron deficiency anemia that causes hair loss generally happens in women. Female pattern hair loss is the most common type of hair loss in women which is also known as androgenetic alopecia. It usually refers to the thinning of hair generally in the middle portion of the scalp. Many women also experience receding or thinning hair on the hairline along the forehead. However, iron deficiency is not the only reason for hair loss in women or men. It can be one of the reasons for which recommends iron supplements for women and men.
12,026 total views, 21 views today