4,795 total views, 1 views today
The development of high technologies does not stop for a minute, and now they are improving many industries familiar to us. Education is no exception, and analysts’ estimates show that in 2022 the worldwide e-learning market will exceed $243 billion. This overwhelming success makes many entrepreneurs think about creating their own e-learning. However, the development of such an application requires good preparation. In this article, we will discover all ins and outs of e-learning app development as well as its cost in 2021. Without further ado, let’s get started.
Types of E-Learning Apps
- 1 Types of E-Learning Apps
- 2 Criteria #1. Learning Method
- 3 Criteria #2. Target Audience
- 4 Needed Steps for E-Learning App Development
- 5 #1. Validate Your Idea
- 6 #2. Think About Your Audience
- 7 #3. Think Through Design
- 8 #4. Define Features
- 9 #5. Think About Monetization
- 10 Vital Features for E-Learning App
- 11 Student Module
- 12 Educator Module
- 13 Parent Module
- 14 How Much Does it Cost to Make an E-Learning App?
- 15 Wrapping Up
Before you decide what app you want to make, you need to know about various types of e-learning apps with their own differences that worth to be highlighted. First of all, e-learning apps can be split into two criteria.
Criteria #1. Learning Method
There are 5 types of applications in this criterion:
- Computer Managed Learning (CML). At its core, it is training that is fully computer-supported. The platform offers various educational materials, evaluates knowledge, provides assignments, and much more. One of the most famous examples is Coursera.
- Synchronous and Asynchronous Online Learning. Synchronous learning involves the simultaneous interaction of students and teachers (while they can be in different places. Asynchronous learning is the exact opposite – students learn at different times and do not overlap. Examples of such platforms are WizIQ and Udemy.
- Fixed and adaptive e-learning. Fixed learning uses a fixed set of learning materials throughout the entire process, while adaptive learning offers a more personalized approach to material selection. The most famous examples of such platforms are Udacity and ScootPad.
- Interactive learning. The main idea of such platforms is the high interactivity of the platform that interacts with the student throughout the entire learning process. Codecademy is the most famous example of this type of platform.
- Individual and Collaborative Online Learning. Individual learning is more aimed at solo students who like to set goals for themselves and study the material on their own. For example, Khan Academy is a platform with over 4000 courses on a variety of topics. Meanwhile, Collaborative training, in a nutshell, is the familiar Zoom, Google Hangouts, and other online call services.
Criteria #2. Target Audience
If you don’t decide what audience you are targeting, you run the risk of creating an application that no one needs. In the field of e-learning education, there are 5 types of audience:
- Lifelong learners
- College or university students
- Kids and tutors
- Language learners
- Specialists in various industries
Needed Steps for E-Learning App Development
In order not to miss anything important and successfully create your e-learning application, you should follow a certain algorithm that we will now talk about.
#1. Validate Your Idea
This is one of the most important steps that is the foundation of all further progress. Study your competitors carefully, read what users think of them, study the niches they occupy. This will help you decide on an idea that should offer something unique and useful.
#2. Think About Your Audience
At this stage, you should carefully consider the needs of your target audience. To do this, you can use websites like Quora and Reddit in order to directly ask questions and find out exactly what they would like to see in the type of application you have chosen.
#3. Think Through Design
At this stage, you should build on your audience. If you are making a platform for teaching children, it strictly needs a bright color scheme and various memorable characters. However, if your platform is aimed at an adult audience, an austere style, and a subdued digital palette might be more appropriate.
#4. Define Features
Think over the most important features that will ensure the implementation of the tasks assigned to the application. Such features are called MVPs and are used for quick time to market. As soon as you release the MVP version of the application, you can start thinking about additional features that can extend the functionality of the application.
#5. Think About Monetization
Choose how your application will make money. You have a choice between three ways:
Vital Features for E-Learning App
According to analysts, e-learning increases retention rates by 25% to 60%. These numbers are achieved thanks to a set of important features that make the learning process convenient, engaging and effective. All features can be divided into three modules.
This module is specifically for learners and their needs. This module has its own set of user-centric features.
- Sign Up and Login. One of the main features. Students should be able to create a profile and log in using a password and email.
- Profile page. On this page, a student can change his profile, post a photo, write contact information, and so on.
- Main page with courses and search bar. The main page contains the courses that are available on the platform, and through the search box, the student can find a course of interest.
- Course page. The page on which the interaction with the course takes place.
- Payments page. For this page, you need to provide several payment options for courses, for example, using credit cards, PayPal, Google Pay, or Apple Pay.
This module includes standard features like Sign Up and Login, and on top of that, it has a set of specific features that valuable for teachers.
- Learners management. This feature is essential for educators, as they must have constant access to data on student learning progress.
- Course management. This feature should be both flexible and straightforward at the same time. Educators need to quickly and easily create a variety of courses for learners.
- Tests and assignments management. Like creating a course, this feature should also not be scared off by the complexity since sisters and assignments are the main way to test students’ knowledge.
The final module has a narrow set of features and is made specifically for parents.
- Dashboard. The learning outcomes should be easily viewable for parents.
- Reviews and ratings. This feature affects the choice of the course since one of the main selection criteria is the feedback from other users who have already completed the course.
How Much Does it Cost to Make an E-Learning App?
Now it’s time to talk about the most interesting part – e-learning app development cost. But keep in mind that our price is approximate and based on an average $50 hourly rate in Europe.
Let’s start with features and their development time.
- Registration (10 hours)
- Login (52 hours)
- Courses screen (41 hours)
- My Courses screen (148 hours)
- Get a certificate screen (16 hours)
- Profile page (42 hours)
- Chat (170 hours)
- Notifications (44 hours)
- Dashboard (26 hours)
The total features development time will be 550 hours. But don’t forget that development is not the only process during e-learning app creation. Now, let’s add other vital work types during development to reveal full development time and price.
- Discovery Phase (80 hours, $4000)
- Development (550 hours, $27,500)
- UI/UX design (336 hours, $16,800)
- PM (360 hours, $18,000)
- QA (625 hours, $31,250)
- DevOps (110 hours, $5,500)
As a result, the total development price will be equal to $103,550.
As you can see, e-learning app development is a pretty tricky process that requires from you some amount of preparations. You should know what type of app you want to make, what features must be in it, and how it will be monetized. Since now you are armed with knowledge, you are ready to make your own e-learning app and enter this industry with your unique solution.